|»||.||Voivode – Małgorzata Chomycz-Śmigielska|
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-01
fax: (17) 867-19-50
Born in Lesko in 1978.
The graduate of the Faculty of Humanities at the Catholic University of Lublin (KUL).
After her graduation Małgorzata Chomycz-Śmigielska worked as the consultant of the European Union Funds in a self-government office. She also worked as a professional translator in the Pilot Programme for Local Development INTERREG III C ADEP during the international conferences in Italy, France and Ireland. In 2006 she was designated as the director of the regional bureau of The Civic Platform.
From 2007 to 2010 Małgorzata Śmigielska-Chomycz served as the Vice-voivde. According to the decision of the Prime Minister, since December, 2010 she has been holding the office of Voivode of The Podkarpackie Voivodeship.
She speaks several foreign languages and her great passion is Ancient Greek literature.
- performance of the function of:
- territorial representative of the Council of Ministers and the head of joint governmental administration;
- immediate superior of the Voivode’s subsidiary units;
- supervisory authority over self-government units;
- supervision over the directors of:
- Voivode’s Office;
- Department of Finance and Budget;
- Department of Certification and European Funds;
- Department for Infrastructure;
- Social Policy Department;
- Department of the Environment and Agriculture;
- Crisis Management Department;
- Team for the Protection of Classified Information;
- supervision over:
- the directors of the Service Establishment for the Border Crossings in Korczowa and Krościenko;
- the Regional Commander of the National Fishing Guard;
- direct supervision over the tasks of:
- Regional Commander of the State Fire Service;
- Regional Commander of the Police;
- Chief Education Officer;
- holding the position of the Chairman of:
- Regional Historic Preservation Officer;
- Regional Committee for Social Dialogue;
- Regional Committee for the Protection of Struggle and Martyrdom Sites;
- team for the implementation of “Razem Bezpieczniej” Programme;
- supervision over the tasks of:
- Regional Disability Evaluation Board;
- Regional Medical Events Board.
|»||.||Vice-Voivode – Grażyna Borek|
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-02
fax: (17) 867-19-50
|»||.||General Director of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship Office – Janusz Olech|
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-03
fax: (17) 867-19-50
Appointed by the Prime Minister in March 7th, 2008.
Graduated from the Faculty of Law at the Jagiellonian University in Cracow. He completed his judicial legal training in 1974, registered on the List of Solicitors in 1983. In 1996 he passed the exam for members of Supervisory Boards in companies owned by the State Treasury and in 1999 he was appointed to the Civil Service. He also completed the number of courses, such as: strategic management, management in administration, negotiations, European Union, human resources management, decision making process. He started his professional carrier in the Municipal Office in Łańcut. From 1975 to 1977 he worked in the Podkarpackie Voivodship Office – at first as a solicitor, later as the director of department. In the years 1990-1999 Janusz Olech held the position of the Director of Voivodship Office, and for the next three years he worked as an administrative director in Elektromontaż S.A. Since 2006 he has been holding the position of General Director of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship Office (except for years 2006-2007 when he worked at the Regional Trade Inspection).
- ensuring the proper functioning of the Voivodship Office;
- performance of tasks of General Director conferred by the provisions of law;
- performance of tasks under the Labour Code and the Act on Civil Service towards the employees of the Voivodship Office;
- performance of tasks under the Act on Lobbying Activity in the Law-Making Process;
- performance of tasks upon the Voivode’s authorisation, including authorisation to issue administrative decisions;
- management and supervision over the directors of:
- Department of Control and Legal Supervision;
- Organizational and Administrative Department;
- supervision over the Internal Audit Team.
Director of the Voivode’s Office – Jerzy Wilk
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-04
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- ensuring the Voivode’s and Vice-Voivode’s work organization;
- arrangement of domestic and foreign visits by Voivode and Vice – Voivode;
- preparation and co-ordination of meetings and events attended by the Voivode and Vice-Voivode;
- co-ordination of the activites of the government administration units in the region in respect of compliance with the government policy;
- co-operation with foreign embassies and consulates, administration of partner regions and business environment organisations;
- fulfilment of obligation resulting from the Voivode’s participation in the corss-border and trans-regional organizations;
- co-ordination of the international cooperation in Voivodship Office;
- providing the Voivode’s press service;
- service of Regional Committee for Social Dialogue.
|»||.||Department of Control and Legal Supervision|
Director – Ewa Przybyło
Deputy Director- Małgorzata Wąsacz
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-07
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- supervision over the resolutions of self-government bodies;
- supervision over the activity of the Agricultural Chamber and the Supervisory Board of the Regional Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management;
- providing legal services for the Voivode, Vice-Voivode, General Director and the Office’s Departments;
- legal supervision over the administrative proceedings in the Voivodeship Office;
- co-ordination and carrying out the controls of self-government units and units subordinate to the Voivode;
- keeping the registers of legal documents;
- analysis of the financial disclosures lodged to the Voivode;
- editing of the Official Journal of the Podkarpackie Voivodship.
|»||.||Organizational and Administrative Department|
Director – Zbigniew Solarski
Deputy Director – Grzegorz Lonc
Deputy Director – Jolanta Tendelska
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-08
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- Organization of work of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship Office and units subordinate to Voivode;
- co-ordination of the tasks under the Access to Public Information Act and maintaining the Public Information Bulletin website;
- co-ordination of the activities related to a managerial control system and the Quality Management System under the PN-EN ISO 9001:2009 standard in the Voivodeship Office;
- managing the remuneration fund and personal affairs of the employees;
- conducting the matters of occupational safety and health, social policy and administrative and accounting service;
- collecting and analysis of the financial disclosures lodged by Voivodship Office and joint administration units employees;
- managing tasks concerning the recording and collection of fines;
- maintaining and development of the IT system in Voivodeship Office;
- comprehensive customer service in the Office;
- keeping archives.
|»||.||Department of Finance and Budget|
Director – Bożena Sadecka
Deputy Director – Teresa Ostrowska
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-10
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- preparation of the draft of Voivode’s budget and supervision over the budget execution;
- supervision and control of the finance policy of units subordinated to the Voivode;
- preparing the amendments of the budget within the scope of the Voivode’s authority;
- preparing and updating the schedule of revenues and expenditures;
- financial and accounting service of the general administrator of the Voivode’s budget.
|»||.||Department of Certification and European Funds|
Director – Barbara Kuźniar-Jabłczyńska
Deputy Director – Katarzyna Lechowska-Winiarz
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-15-64
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- verification of certificate and statement of expenditure and application for interim payment from Managing Authority to Certifying Authority within the Regional Operational Programme for the Podkarpackie Voivodeship for years 2007-2013;
- preparing the certificate and statement of expenditure and application for interim payment from Intermediate Body to Certifying Authority within the ROP for years 2007-2013;
- preparing and carrying out the controls of the Managing Authority for the ROP for years 2007-2013;
- analysing of the Managing Authority’s Procedures Manual and its subsequent updates;
- performance of tasks of the first level controller fort the Republic of Poland – Slovak Republic Cross-border Cooperation Operational Programme for years 2007-2013;
- performance of the Intermediate Body duties related to the Neighbourhood Programme Poland-Belarus-Ukraine INTERREG III A/TACIS CBC 2004-2006 and the INTERREG IIIA Programme Poland – Slovakia;
- monitoring and carrying out the controls of durability of the projects within the Integrated Regional Development Operational Programme for years 2004-2006.
|»||.||Department for Infrastructure|
Director – Monika Barszcz-Chodkowska
Deputy Director – Maria Tokarska
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-12
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- performance of tasks under the Act on State Borders Protection;
- supervision over the road transport;
- founding supervision and ownership transformations;
- spatial administration;
- architectonic and construction administration.
|»||.||Real Estate Department|
Director – Stanisław Siemiński
Deputy Director – Tomasz Białek
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-19
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- performance of tasks under the Act on Real Estate Management;
- adjudicating authority in the first instance in matters the regarding the acquisition of property by the self-government units, the State and its legal entities as regards the Voivode’s legal obligations;
- processing claims for compensation for real estates acquired in order to build a public road;
- governing the issues of property rights of churches, religious associations and Jewish communities.
|»||.||Department for Citizenship and Foreigners’ Affairs|
Director – Stanisław Łyszczek
Deputy Director – Andrzej Kosior
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-15
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- performance of tasks related to issuance of passports;
- performance of tasks related to:
- legalization of the residence of aliens within the territory of the Republic of Poland;
- expulsion of aliens from the territory of the Republic of Poland;
- keeping the invitations register;
- supervision over:
- the Population Records;
- activities of the Registry Offices;
- issuance of identity cards;
- course of public meetings;
- confirmation of the fact of having Polish citizenship, losing Polish citizenship and repatriation;
- acting on behalf of national minorities;
- filing applications to grant Polish citizens by the President of the Republic of Poland.
|»||.||Department of the Environment and Agriculture|
Director – Rafał Kumek
Deputy Director – Stanisław Telesz
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-18
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- nature conservation, forestry and hunting issues;
- performance of tasks related to government policy involving agricultural and rural affairs on the Voivodship level;
- adjustment and implementation of the Common Agricultural Policy and the strategies of agricultural development;
- supporting of rural development;
- restoration of damages resulting from natural disasters;
|»||.||Crisis Management Department|
Director – Piotr Skworzec
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-17
Deputy Director – Stanisław Rysz
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-17-12
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- coordination and supervision over:
- crisis management;
- civil defense;
- State Emergency Medical Services;
- defensive tasks in the Voivodship;
- citizens involvement in self-defense planning;
- cooperation with government administration units, self-government units, business entities and other institutions as regards public order and safety.
|»||.||Social Policy Department|
Director – Dariusz Tracz
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-13-00
Deputy Director – Monika Prokop
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-13-20
fax: (17) 867-19-50
Performance of tasks related to:
- social service, family benefits, supporting families and foster care;
- providing financial support towards the tasks in the field of social service performed by the units of self-government;
- granting permits to run social service houses, care and educational institutions and 24-hours care centers for the disabled, chronically ill or elderly people;
- administrative service for the Regional Disability Evaluation Board;
- granting and withdrawal of permits for sheltered workshops, professional activity workshops and centres for social inclusion;
- supervision over the district labour offices, including adjudication in the second instance;
- supervision over health care system, including keeping the registers of medical entities operating within the borders of the Voivodship;
- administrative service for the Regional Medical Events Board;
- national heritage protection;
- specialization and postgraduate education of medical staff;
- medical statistics;
- keeping of the register of sign language translators (PJM, SJM, SKOGN).
|»||.||Team for the Protection of Classified Information|
Commissioner for the Protection of Classified Information – Damian Kołcz
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-13-10
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- protection of classified information;
- personal data protection;
- running the Confidential Office;
- protection of ICT systems and networks processing classified information.
|»||.||Internal Audit Team|
Team Manager – Sławomir Pietrusiak
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-12-12
fax: (17) 867-19-50
- preparation of the annual internal audit plan;
- carrying out an internal audit and providing advisory service;
- assessment of the implementation of post-audit recommendations;
- preparation of the report about the implementation of the prior year internal audit plan.
|»||.||Regional Office of Geodesy and Cartography|
Regional Inspector of Geodesy and Cartography – Stanisław Baran
Secretariat: phone: (17) 867-19-16
fax: (17) 867-19-86
- performance of tasks under Geodetic and Cartographic Law Act;
- supervision over the activity of geodetic and cartographic administration;
- co-operation with the Head Office of Geodesy and Cartography and state controlling bodies as regards geodesy and cartography;
- storing of the security copies of provincial and district databases which are an element of the state’s land information system, particularly the database of Land and Property Register;
- preparing opinions for self-government authorities on ability to take over the tasks within the scope of geodesy and cartography;
- adjudicating authority in the first instance within the scope of geodesy and cartography on the basis of the Code of Administrative Procedure;
- adjudicating in the higher-instance in respect of geodetic and cartographic administration.
Division of the Podkarpackie Voivodship Office in Przemyśl;
Manager – Bogusław Kondratko
phone: (16) 678-26-80, 678-50-51 (telephone exchange)
fax (16) 678-34-19
Division of the Podkarpackie Voivodship Office in Krosno;
Manager – Grzegorz Gorczyca
phone: (13) 437-28-70, 437-28-00 (telephone exchange)
fax.: (13) 437-28-55
Division of the Podkarpackie Voivodship Office in Tarnobrzeg.
Manager – Mariola Żuraw
phone: (15) 822-15-95, 822-15-60, 822-15-63, 822-15-77, 822-15-88, 822-40-08 (telephone exchange)
fax.: (15) 822-62-53
|»||.||Joint governmental administration|
- Regional Headquarters of the State Fire Service in Rzeszów;
- Regional Police Headquarters in Rzeszów;
- Department of Education;
- Regional Agricultural and Food Quality Inspectorate in Rzeszów;
- Regional Pharmaceutical Inspectorate in Rzeszów;
- Regional Plant Health and Seed Inspectorate in Rzeszów;
- Regional Inspectorate for Environmental Protection in Rzeszów;
- Regional Trade Inspectorate in Rzeszów;
- Regional Veterinary Inspectorate in Krosno;
- Regional Inspectorate of Building Control in Rzeszów;
- Regional Inspectorate of Road Transport in Rzeszów;
- Regional Sanitary-Epidemiological Station in Rzeszów;
- Regional Inspectorate of Geodesy and Cartography in Rzeszów.
|»||.||About the region|
The Voivodeship was created on January 1st, 1999 out of former voivdeships: rzeszowskie, przemyskie, krośnieńskie and partially tarnobrzeskie and tarnowskie. It covers the area of 17,845 square kilometres and has the population of 2 128 707 (as at June 2013). Its population density has been estimated at 118 people per square kilometre. The region is situated in south-eastern Poland, sharing its eastern border with Ukraine (Lviv Region and Zakarpattia Region) and southern border with Slovakia (Presov Region). Kremenaros Peak in the Bieszczady Mountains is the place where Polish, Slovak and Ukrainian borders meet and therefore there is a border post marked with number 1. Podkarpacie is also bordered by Lesser Poland, the Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship and the Lubelskie Voivodeship. It is mostly an agricultural and industrial region.
Podkarpackie Voivodeship is divided into 159 communities, 21 districts, 21 land districts and 4 city districts (Rzeszów, Krosno,Tarnobrzeg and Przemyśl). Its capital and largest city is Rzeszów with population of approximately 180 thousands citizens. Other large cities are Przemyśl, Stalowa Wola, Mielec, Tarnobrzeg and Krosno.
|»||.||Transport and communication|
The Podkarpackie Voivodeship is located alongside the major trans-european transport corridors. It is also an important communication junction in south-eastern part of the country with the crucial role of roads, railway and “Rzeszów – Jasionka” International Airport as well. Rzeszów–Jasionka Airport features high-quality technical parameters and equipment, especially the second-longest runway in Poland.
International road No. E 40 (national road No. 4) – the longest European route (about 8000 km), within the Polish borders linking: Jędrzychowice – Wrocław – Kraków – Rzeszów – Korczowa. International road No. E 40 is partially included into The Pan-European Transport Corridor III.
A4 motorway – one of the most important road investment in the Podkarpackie Vivodeship, built along the national road No. 4. The regional section of motorway has been divided into 7 separate sections. According to recent data (December, 2013) the completion of the whole investment appears as follows:
section Krzyż – Dębica Pustynia – by the end of 2014,
section Dębica Pustynia – Western Rzeszów – completed,
section Western Rzeszów – Northern Rzeszów – completed,
section Northern Rzeszów – Eastern Rzeszów – completed,
section Eastern Rzeszów – Jarosław – half of 2014,
section Jarosław –Przemyśl – completed,
section Radymno – Korczowa – completed
International road E-371 (national road No. 9) – linking Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Croatia, within the Polish borders leads through Radom and Rzeszów to national border in Barwinek (SK).
Expressway S19 (national road 19) – linking Rzeszów, Lublin, Białystok, Kuźnica Białostocka, national border, Lithuania. It is a very important route from the perspective of accessibility and development of Eastern Poland, especially due to its course along the Via Carpatia Corridor. Via Carpatia is planned as an international transit road between Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Greece and within the region it covers the area of two important special economic zones: EURO-PARK MIELEC and Tarnobrzeg Special Economic Zone EURO-PARK WISŁOSAN. There are two sections of S19 in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship:
section Stobierna – Rzeszów – completed
section Rzeszów – Barwinek
The total length of railways in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship is 1 024 km.
Main railway lines:
E-30 railway line – from Western Europe to Ukraine, within the Podkarpackie Voivodeship linking Wałki, Dębica, Rzeszów, Przemyśl, Medyka (national border). Along the railway there are a few junction and cargo stations, including the transfer point Medyka – Przemyśl – Żurawica. E 30 line requires to be modernized and adapted to the UE requirements so that Polskie Linie Kolejowe implements the project entitled: Modernization of the E30/C-E30 railway line, section Kraków – Rzeszów – stage III co-founded by the Operational Programme “Infrastructure and Environment for the years 2007-2014”
Railway No. 71 Ocice – Rzeszów Główny– single track railway without electrification, its approximate length is 66 km. Since November 12, 2010 the line has been operating between Rzeszów and Lublin. It is considered to be electrified and available for an express train from Rzeszow to Warsaw.
Railway No. 106 Rzeszów – Jasło - single track railway with partial electrification. Due to its poor technical condition PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe implements the project entitled: “Improvement in the accessibility of railway line by construction of some infrastructure components at sections of line No 106 Rzeszów – Jasło” co-founded by the Regional Operational Programme for the Podkarpackie Province 2007-2013.
Railway No. 107 Nowy Zagórz – Łupków –linking Nowy Zagórz with former border crossing with Slovakia.
Railway No. 108 Stróże – Krościenko – single track railway without electrification. Due to its poor technical condition PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe implements the project entitled: „Improvement in the accessibility of railway line by construction of some infrastructure components at sections of line No 108 Stróże – Krościenko” co-founded by the Regional Operational Programme for the Podkarpackie Province 2007-2013.
Railway line No. 65 (so-called broad track) – runs through the northern part of Voivideship, intended for the transport of goods.
One of the main tourist attractions in Podkarpacie are two working narrow-gauge railways –The Bieszczady Forest Railway and Podgorzanin, linking Przeworsk, Kańczuga and Dynów. Along the line of Podgorzanin Railway, in Hadle Szklarsie there is the longest European narrow-gauge railway tunnel.
The Podkarpackie Voivodeship borders two neighbouring countries. In the east it is Ukraine and in the south Slovakia. On both borders there are currently 7 border crossings operating on the external border of the European Union; 4 road, 3 rail and one air border crossing.
Rail border crossings:
Przemyśl – Mosciska – the biggest rail border crossing in the region, located along the E30 railway line. It is equipped with a terminal base for passenger and freight traffic. The border crossing is being systematically modernized and developed.
Werchrata – Rawa Ruska –built in the fifties as the one of the dry ports for international goods trade between Poland and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. In 1982 it was closed down and in 1994, after the renovation came into use again. Currently the border crossing provides services for freight transport.
Krościenko-Chyrów – launched in 1994 on the border with Ukraine for passenger traffic, only for Polish and Ukrainian citizens. In 2006 it was established to provide services for international passenger traffic.
Road border crossings:
Korczowa-Krakowiec – the largest road border crossing in the region in the east-west direction, located along the national road No. 4. The crossing services 24-hour international traffic of freight vehicles, passenger cars and buses. Veterinary border control, phytosanitary, sanitary and epidemiological control and quality control of food products are carried out 24 hours a day.
Medyka – Szeginie – located along the national road No. 28, in the east-west direction. The border crossing is being currently developed; it services the 24-hour international traffic of freight vehicles, passenger cars, and pedestrians.
Krościenko-Smolnica – located along the national road No. 84. It provides services for freight vehicles and passenger cars.
Budomierz-Hruszew – launched in November 2013, newly built border crossing on the Polish – Ukrainian border and one of the most modern checkpoints on the EU external border. This nearly 146 PLN million investment was co-financed from the EU funds (Cross-Border Cooperation Programme Poland-Belarus-Ukraine 2007-2013 and External Borders Fund). The crossing is equipped with electronic supervision and traffic control. It has eight lanes for customs clearance in both directions and can service 8,000 people a day.
Air border crossing:
International Airport Rzeszów-Jasionka – since January 1st, 2000 there has been functioning the checkpoint of Polish Border Guard. Currently the Border Guard is obliged to carry out a border traffic control and to ensure the security of air transport. Additionally, outside the airport officers conduct the controls of legality of residence and employment and ensure the protection of communication routes of international importance, etc.
Mielec Airport – the border crossing point at the Mielec airport services international passenger traffic. It is located within the Special Economic Zone EURO-PARK MIELEC and at the distance of 5 km from the city centre. There is also an additional air border crossing for passengers traffic established.
- International Airport Rzeszów-Jasionka
An important element in the communication system of the region is Rzeszów-Jasionka Airport, which supports both domestic and international connections. The advantage of airport is a 3200 meters long, modernized runway, that allows landing of all types of passenger and cargo aircraft, including the big machines such as the Boeing B-787 Dreamliner or AN-124 Rusłan. The most awaited investment in the Rzeszów-Jasionka Airport was the construction of a new passenger terminal building and so in May 2012, the passenger service was moved to the new terminal, which significantly changed the image of the Rzeszów-Jasionka Airport.
The new passenger terminal airport „Rzeszów – Jasionka”
From the airport in Jasionka one can now get to Warsaw, Frankfurt, Manchester, Barcelona-Girona, London (Stansted Airport and Luton), Bristol, Birmingham, East Midlands, Dublin, Glasgow, Oslo, Trapani, Rome and Paris.
According to the data published by the Statistical Office in Rzeszow there are 158,6 thousands of national economy entities located in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship (as at October 2013).
- Special Economic Zones
Special Economic Zone EURO-PARK Mielec
Special Economic Zone EURO-PARK Mielec was established in 1995 as the first Special Economic Zone in Poland and throughout the whole time it has been under the management and administration of Industrial Development Agency. The advantages of SEZ have been recognized by the number of domestic and foreign investors who set up their business within the zone. EURO-PARK MIELEC is an area of unique opportunities in quick return on investment and effective business activity, offering long term tax exemptions and other preferences.
Basic information (as at September 2013):
Licenses issued for business activity within the zone – 251
Invested by the new entities in new factory space and facilities – 5,85 billion PLN
Total employment – 22 862
Additionally, within the SEZ EURO-PARK MIELEC operate many enterprises without valid permission, that employ more than 3000 employees and invested more than 300 billion PLN.
SEZ EURO-PARK MIELEC covers the total area of 1299 ha within the following locations:
Mielec – 605 ha
Lublin – 118 ha
Trzebownisko – 95 ha
Szczecin – 93 ha
Zamość – 54 ha
Głogów Małopolski – 49 ha
Dębica – 36 ha
Krosno – 36 ha
Rzeszów – 35 ha
Leżajsk – 27 ha
Gorlice – 21 ha
Ropczyce – 21 ha
Lubartów – 20 ha
Ostrów – 19 ha
Jarosław – 15 ha
Zagórz – 11 ha
Lubaczów – 9 ha
Łańcut – 9 ha
Kolbuszowa – 8 ha
Sędziszów Małopolski – 7 ha
Radymno – 6 ha
Sanok – 4 ha
Radzyń Podlaski – 2 ha
SEZ EURO-PARK MIELEC has been established to operate until December 31, 2020. Currently, about 140 companies run their business within SEZ.
Tarnobrzeg Special Economic Zone EURO-PARK Wisłosan
Tarnobrzeg Special Economic Zone EURO-PARK Wisłosan was established in 1997 and it shall operate till the year 2026.
Currently 105 active entrepreneurs represent various branches of industry: aluminium processing, pharmaceutics, consumer glass, electronics, manufacturing building materials, furniture and printing industry. The offer for investors includes investment areas (in great part with technical infrastructure), buildings and technical infrastructure. Companies operating within the TSEZ on the day of the establishment of the TSEZ, communes and the managing company of the TSEZ EURO-PARK WISŁOSAN the Industrial Development Agency joint-stock company in Warsaw are owners of these assets.
The zone’s area covers 1 632 ha located in 20 subzones situated in 6 voivodeships.
Basic information (as at September 2012):
Permits issued – 230
Total employment – 28 448 (including 20 657 new jobs)
Invested – 7 billion PLN (70% of this amount – foreign capital)
Podkarpackie Science and Technology Park AEROPOLIS (PSTP)
Established in 2006. At present is one of the most attractive places for investments in south-eastern Poland. It is the first industrial park in Poland, where the goal is to maintain the long-term and deep-rooted traditions of the aviation industry in this region, both in the area of economic and scientific research. The PSTP mainly offers investment areas with whole technical infrastructure and offices of the Academic Preincubator.
A key assumption for Academic Preincubator was to support young entrepreneurs who want to come onto the market with their own innovative ideas. Preincubator also provides consulting aid related to law, finance, and EU projects. Currently in the Academic Preincubator 10 enterprises, 2 laboratories, 1 natural person conducting commercial activity and 1 association conduct their business activities. Preincubator is located within the Special Economic Zone EURO-PARK Mielec (in Tajęcina village), by the voivodeship road No. 869, to the north of International Airport Rzeszów-Jasionka.
According to a definition given by the Polish Ministry of Economy, cluster is the form of horizontal cooperation between the 3 groups of entities – enterprises, scientific and research institutions and public authorities – that are able to generate proper environment for adequate interactions between the units of national and regional innovation systems. Clusters have a positive impact on the competitiveness and innovation of both single enterprises and whole regions as well.
Clusters in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship:
Aviation Valley Cluster,
Subcarpathian Aviation Cluster,
Eastern Poland IT Companies Cluster,
Lesser Poland/Subcarpathian Clean Energy Cluster,
Podkarpacki Renewable Energy Cluster,
Bieszczady Trans-border Tourist Cluster,
Health Innovation and Tourism Cluster Health Resorts of the Pearls of Eastern Poland,
Organic Food Valley Cluster,
The Plastics Processing Cluster POLIGEN,
Welding Cluster KLASTAL,
Siubcarpathian Agricultural and Food Cluster,
The Life Quality Cluster Podkarpacie Country
- Leading enterprises:
Asseco Poland - the largest Polish information technology company listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange.
WSK PZL Rzeszów – since the year 2002 WSK has been the part of the American corporation United Technologies and currently is one of the leading companies in the Central Europe aerospace industry. Production program includes aviation engines, helicopter gearboxes and aviation components. WSK is involved in the manufacturing of airplane components and complete driving units and what’s more it cooperates with the leaders of aircraft industry, such as Boeing, Airbus, Aerospatiale, Bombardier or Embraer. WSK Rzeszów is an initiator and leading unit in The Aviation Valley Cluster.
Polskie Zakłady Lotnicze Mielec – since the year 2007 PZL Mielec has been the part of the United Technologies Company and as that part, PZL initiated cooperation with Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation and manufactures not only subassembly units (UH-60M BLACK HAWK Cabins), but also complete aircrafts (M28, M28B Bryza, M18 Dromader, S-70i Black Hawk).
Hamilton Susndtrand Poland – two buildings of the 12000 m2 opened in 2011 in Rzeszów. The factory’s intention is to employ ultimately around 300 people, including 70 engineers. The factory designs subassembly units and other elements for plane engines and is also responsible for the assembly, research and testing of the APU engines. Hamilton Susndtrand is the part of the United Technologies Company.
Huta Stalowa Wola – In 2012, Chinese company Liugong Machinery purchased the plant producing construction equipment and its commercial division – Dressta company from Huta Stalowa Wola. Due to this transaction Liugong Machinery Poland became the leading manufacturer of premium brand construction machines. Huta Stalowa Wola itself, specializes in designing, manufacturing and sales of the military equipment, such as artillery equipment, special armoured carriers and engineering equipment.
INGLOT Cosmetics – established in 1983, by Wojciech Inglot, a businessman from Przemyśl. The company is present in over 400 retail locations, including the most prestigious shopping centers worldwide (New York, Las Vegas, London, Dubai, Doha, Istanbul, Sydney, Cape Town)
Grupa Nowy Styl – an international office furniture company and one of the leaders in this field. The company has divisions in 12 countries and operates actively in nearly 60 countries all over the world.
Grupa Zelmer - leading Polish manufacturer of small household appliances that comes third on the Middle-European market. Since November, 2012 BSH Bosch und Siemens Hausgeräte has been the new strategic investor of the company.
PGNiG/division Sanok – for over 60 years Polish Oil and Gas Company in Sanok has been keeping up the tradition of gas and oil mining in Podkarpacie. Currently PGNiG in Sanok is one out of two main divisions producing and extracting natural gas and crude oil in Poland.
At the turn of school years 2011 and 2012 in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship the following schools functioned:
Number of schools
Number of pupils
|Specialised secondary schools||
|Secondary technical schools||
|Complementary secondary schools||
|Complementary secondary technical schools||
|Schools adapting to work||
At the turn of school years 2011 and 2012 the total number of students at the 16 regional universities was 70 933.
There are two public universities functioning in the region:
University of Rzeszow
Ignacy Łukasiewicz Rzeszow University of Technology
There are also several non-public universities, for instance:
University of Information Technology and Management in Rzeszow
School of Law and Public Administration in Przemyśl and Rzeszow
Compared with the other regions of Poland, the Podkarpackie Voivodeship has unique tourist potential showing itself in valuable natural and cultural conditions, such as varied flora and fauna, mountain chains, vast forests and numerous historical monuments.
The Podkarpackie Voivodeship covers the area of 3 physiographic regions; in the north the lowland of Kotlina Sandomierska (Sandomierz Valley), in the middle part of the region Pogórze Karpackie (Carpathian Foothills) and in the south Beskid Niski Mountains (Low Beskid) and the Bieszczady Mountains. At the northern-east of Kotlina Sandomierska, there are partially situated the Roztocze Range and Wyżyna Lubelska (Lublin Highlands) and at the northern-west Wyżyna Opatowska (Opatów Highlands) and Niecka Nidziańska (Nida Basin).
The region is very diversified, mostly hilly and mountainous, but there are also valleys.
The greatest advantages of the Podkarpackie Voivoideship:
- Beskid Niski (Low Beskid)
- Pogórze Strzyżowsko-Dynowskie (Strzyżow-Dynów Foothills)
- Góry Słonne (Słonne Mountains)
- Puszcza Sandomierska (Sandomierz Wilderness)
- Health resorts (mineral and termal water),
- Lakes and rivers,
- Legally protected natural areas.
The Bieszczady Mountains (Przemyśl Foothills and Western Bieszczady) are situated within the Podkarpackie Voivodeship and above all, with their hills and mountains are one of the most attractive part of the region. Mount Tarnica (1346 MASL), Mount Krzemień (1335 MASL) and Mount Halicz (1333 MASL) are the highest peaks in the Bieszczady Mountains.
- Lakes and rivers
The Podkarpackie Voivodeship is located within the basin of the Upper Wisła (Vistula) river. The system of rivers in the region is relatively well developed and rivers are used to provide the dwellers with drinking water.
Main rivers in the region:
Wisła (Vistula) – its total length within the region is 77,7 km and constitutes the natural north-western border of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship,
San – right bank tributary of Vistula river, for 55 km constitutes the border between Poland and Ukraine,
Wisłoka – right bank tributary of Vistula river, its total length is 163,6 km,
Wisłok – a mountain river, left bank tributary of San river.
The Solina Lake – stands out with the area of 22 km², capacity of 472 million m³ and the largest concrete dam in Poland. Designed to protect the Solina Valley against floods. The Solina Lake was created in 1968 by the damming of rivers San and Solinka, and sinking Solina village under the water.
Myczkowce Lake – characterized by the area of 2,2 km², capacity of 11 million m³.
- National parks
The quality of nature and landscape is confirmed by the fact of large number of protected areas (861 840,4 ha), that takes about 48% of the region.
Bieszczady National Park – created in 1973. Currently it covers the area of 29 202 ha with the highest areas of the Polish part of the Bieszczady Mountains.
Magura National Park – created in 1995. Currently it covers area of 29 202 19 439 ha and consists mainly of heavily forested part of the Low Beskid.
Cisna-Wetlina Landscape Park (Ciśniańsko-Wetliński Park Krajobrazowy);
Czarnorzeki-Strzyżów Landscape Park (Czarnorzecko-Strzyżowski Park Krajobrazowy);
Jaśliska Landscape Park (Jaśliski Park Krajobrazowy);
San Valley Landscape Park (Park Krajobrazowy Doliny Sanu);
Słonne Mountains Landscape Park (Park Krajobrazowy Gór Słonnych);
Janów Forests Landscape Park (Park Krajobrazowy Lasy Janowskie);
Pogórze Przemyskie Landscape Park (Park Krajobrazowy Pogórze Przemyskie);
Pasmo Brzanki Landscape Park (Park Krajobrazowy Pasma Brzanki);
South Roztocze Landscape Park (Południoworoztoczański Park Krajobrazowy);
Puszcza Solska Landscape Park (Park Krajobrazowy Puszczy Solskiej);
The East Carpathian Biosphere Reserve (Międzynarodowy Rezerwat Biosfery Karpaty Wschodnie) – created in 1992. It is a transboundary protected area, entitled as an area of global importance under UNESCO’s Programme on Man and the Biosphere. It is located in the Eastern Carpathians and includes parts of Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine.
- Natural resources
The Podkarpackie Voivodeship is relatively abundant in the following natural resources:
Mineral water – located practically all over the region, mainly in the area of Iwonicz Zdrój – Lubatówka, Rymanów Zdrój, Horyniec Zdrój, Polańczyk, Latoszyn, Lipa, Rudawka Rymanowska, Baligród i Czarna. There are also several health resorts, such as Iwonicz Zdrój, Rymanów Zdrój, Polańczyk Zdrój i Horyniec Zdrój. In Rudawka Rymanowska in the Low Beskid mountains one can take the advantage of geothermal water about the temperature of 48 degrees C.
Sulfur – in the northern part of the Sandomierz Valley, near to Tarnobrzeg, Nagnajów and Machów.
Crude oil/natural gas – Polish reserves of crude oil and natural gas are located mainly in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship. The world first crude oil mine was set up in Bóbrka near Gorlice. Currently in Bóbrka there is Museum of Oil and Gas Industry named after Ignacy Lukasiewicz presenting the origins of the petroleum industry in Poland.
Sandstone – mainly in the Carpathian Foothills and in the Carpathian Mountains,
Limestone – reserves located in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship are being used in the construction industry,
Clay – reserves located in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship are being used in the ceramic industry, the chemical industry and building materials manufacturing,
Brown coal – in the area of Pilzno and Grudna Dolna,
The Podkarpackie Voivodeship is a special place, full of the curiosities, magical landscapes and mementos of the past. The rich history and years of coexistence of different ethnic and religious groups resulted in old customs, art and architecture incomparable with those in the other regions of Poland is being strengthened by the richness of the natural environment. The region is famous from The Bieszczady Mountains, unspoiled wildlife, health resorts or The Wooden Architecture Route with some beautiful Orthodox churches. People here are incredibly hospitable, some of them run agritourism farms where their guests can taste some regional specialties and – depending on the needs – enjoy numerous attractions or desired peace and quite.
- The Bieszczady Mountains
The leading attraction of the region are the Bieszczady Mountains. It is a special place because of the natural and cultural values. Discovered for tourism in the pre-war period when the first tourist shelters in Sianki, Beniowa, Dydiowa and Sokol were established. Bieszczady are a great place for all the forms of recreation. Here we find both, difficult and demanding hiking trails and educational, historical and nature trails allowing to recognize the richness of nature and the monuments of culture. The best conditions for sailing one can find on the Solina Lake, around which operates the largest rest and recreational base in the region. Additionally, there are several sailing centers and marinas. Almost every holiday resort has its own marina and watersports equipment. Currently visitors can rent kayaks, boats, sailboats and pedal boats in Solina, Myczkowce, Polańczyk, Jawor, Teleśnica Oszwarowa, Chrewt, Rajskie, Zawozie and Wołkowyja. The Polańczyk Health Resort – the largest cluster of sanatoriums and holiday homes in Bieszczady specializing in the treatment of many diseases – was founded in Polańczyk – Zdrój on the shore of the Solina Lake. Health resort was established in 1977, and later in 1999 Polańczyk obtained the status of the spa. There are mineral waters used for drinking treatments and therapeutic baths available. The entire holiday base is located on a beautiful peninsula jutting deep into the water of Solina Lake.
In winter the Bieszczady Mountains offer the wide choice of both gentle and demanding ski slopes, survival expeditions, paragliding, ski-touring or skiring. Podkarpacie has over 40 ski lifts and most of them are located in The Bieszczady.
More and more popular form of tourism in Poland is an argitourism. According to the Podkarpackie Agricultural Advisory Centre in January 2014, the number of agritourism farms in Podkarpacie cooperating with PAAC set at 596 farms, providing about 6121 of beds.
- Castles and Palaces
The Podkarpackie Voivodeship was once inhabited by the richest and most influential families of the Republic, so that now one of the tourist attractions are castles and palaces from different historical periods.
The most interesting are:
Łańcut Castle – the most famous and one of the most marvelous aristocratic residence in Poland known for its excellent interiors, works of art and the collection of horse-drawn vehicles. The castle is surrounded by old, picturesque English-style park with several pavilions and outbuildings. Residence in Łańcut in different historical periods belonged to the most eminent families such as Lubomirscy, Czartoryscy and Potoccy. In the well-preserved interiors of castle one can admire rich and diverse collections of paintings and graphics, furniture, musical instruments, silverware, china and the great collection of the Castle Library, which is the example of great ancestral baronial library. There are also an impressive Castle Stables and Coach House with the priceless collection of horse-drawn vehicles. These luxurious vehicles comes from the most reputable companies in Vienna, London and Paris. This is the only one baronial coach house of this kind all over the world. Noteworthy is also revitalized in the years 2007-2009 Storczykarnia (The Orchid House), which consists of an exhibition, a back part divided into three climatic zones and a summer cafe. Many species of orchids are presented in the exhibition, e.g. orchids growing in the ground, lithophytes (growing on rocks) as well as epiphytes (growing on tree branches).
The tradition initiated by Princess Izabela Lubomirska is that castle is very active in music. Since 1960 until today, always in May, an event originally called the Chamber Music Days is held. The festival starts every year in May and lasts a week. Concerts take place in the historic interiors of the ballroom of Łańcut Castle. Currently, the organizer of festival is Podkarpacka Philharmonic Orchestra. Castle also serves as a representative place during the state events. In 1996, the meeting of the nine presidents of Central European countries was held in Łańcut. In 2009 the castle played host to the heads of diplomatic missions accredited in Poland and in 2011 due to the Polish Presidency the ballroom of the castle was attended during the dinner party by the representatives of the Committee of Permanent Representatives of European Union member states.
The Castle in Krasiczyn located nearby Przemyśl is one of the most beautiful monuments of Polish Renaissance. It was built at the turn of the sixteenth and seventeenth century by Stanisław Krasicki and his son Martin. Castle, despite the devastation caused by fires and wars kept almost unchanged appearance from the seventeenth century. Castle is surrounded by a beautiful park with a huge lake. The origins of the park date back to the sixteenth century. In the castle park there are about 150 years oaks and lime trees growing. There are also some extraordinary species from many corners of the world giving the park a bit exotic character. After taking over the castle by the state authorities after World War II there was the Technical School of Forestry established and later, in the seventies the FSO factory took patronage over this object. In 1996 the Industrial Development Agency in Warsaw took over The Castle and Park in Krasiczyn. After the renovation and preservation works the castle changed into the modern place of interests with beautiful hotel and the restaurant.
Castle in Baranów Sandomierski called Little Wawel – one of the most beautiful Polish castle, surrounded by 14-hectare park – was built at the end of the sixteenth century. Its current shape is the result of the Leszczynski family activity. Like many priceless historical monuments also the castle in Baranów was damaged during World War II. In the years 1959-1969 it was rebuilt and restored by the state authorities and later the building was transferred to the Siarkopol Sulphur Mines in Tarnobrzeg. Since 1997, the owner of the object is the Industrial Development Agency in Warsaw. Currently the castle serves as a tourist base and a conference center.
The Renaissance castle in Przemyśl situated on the Castle Hill on the San River, was built around 1340 by King Kazimierz the Great. Originally it was designed in gothic style, however its present appearance is the result of modernization and restoration works conducted over the centuries. Currently Castle with its courtyard takes about 0,5 hectares. Many cultural events take place today on the square in front of the castle and visitors can also enjoy the guest rooms located in the building.
Other interesting historical monuments in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship are, e.g. the Royal Castle in Sanok, Castle in Dubieck, Lubomirski Castle in Rzeszow, Palace in Dukla or Palace in Julin.
- Ethnographic and historical museums
The Museum of Folk Architecture in Sanok
One of the finest ethnographic museums in the open air in Europe. It is picturesquely situated on the right bank of the San River and it consists of more than 100 wooden buildings dating from the seventeenth to the twentieth century. The collection of monuments includes residential buildings, outbuildings, religious buildings, icon painting exhibition and nearly 30 000 other exhibits. In terms of the number of monuments it is the largest open-air museum in Poland. In the area of 38 ha the museum presents the culture of Polish – Ukrainian borderline in the eastern part of Polish Carpathians (Bieszczady, Low Beskid). Particular ethnographic groups (Bojkowie, Łemkowie, Pogórzanie i Dolinianie) have separate displays perfectly suited to natural topography.
Museum also organises temporary exhibitions, including icons, Judaica, pottery, weaving and crafts.
In September, 2011 a new sector called Galician Market Square was opened in the Ethnographic Park. In this replica of Galician market there has been reconstructed the center of small town from Podkarpacie from the second half of the nineteenth century. Around the market square there are 26 wooden buildings such as tavern, post office, municipal office, a pharmacy, shop, tobacconist, carpenter’s shop, hairdresser, tailor’s shop, shoemaker’s shop, watchmaker’s shop and photo laboratory. All facilities are equipped with appropriate equipment and devices giving visitors the complete picture of the life of Galician town. Galician market has been appreciated by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage and in 2012, received ” Sybilla 2011″ award for „Museum event of the year”.
Historical Museum in Sanok
Historical Museum in Sanok is a regional museum established in 1934 as the Museum of Sanok. Currently gathers more than 20 000 exhibits and has separate sections for archaeological, iconographic, historical, restoration pieces of art. The special gem of museum is the Gallery of Zdzisław Beksiński, presenting rich and diverse work of one of the most interesting and intriguing contemporary artists.
The Carpathian Troy Open-Air Museum
The place where museum was established is one of the most important archeological sites in Poland, of exceptional importance for understanding the history of the entire Central and Eastern Europe. During the excavations, archeologists discovered there more than 160 thousand monuments like dishes as well as pottery, flint, stone, bone, horn, bronze and iron products. Many of them are unique and considered to be the great examples of ancient art and craft. The entire complex consists of ancient town and the archaeological park lying at its foot. There is also a modern exhibition pavilion, conference room and multimedia educational room. The construction began in October 2007, and lasted two years.
In 2012 The Carpathian Troy Open-Air Museum was nominated in the competition of the Ministry of Regional Development called “7 Wonders of European Funds” in the category of tourist object.
- The Wooden Architecture Route
One of the largest marking trails in Poland, which joined three regions: Podkarpacie, Lesser Poland and Silesia. The Wooden Architecture Route covers 3037 km, where 9 routes with the total length of 1202 km runs through the Podkarpackie Voivodeship. 127 of all 448 monuments are located in Podkarpacie. Two of them have been registered on the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List.
Church in Haczow
Church in Haczow is the oldest church of this kind of construction in Poland. It was built in the middle of fifteenth century. In the seventeenth and eighteen century a tower and a chapel were added. Church in Haczów is also the largest wooden gothic church in Europe. The temple had been used till fifties of the twentieth century until the discovery of two layers of original, priceless paintings from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. In the years 1979 – 2000 the renovation of temple was carried out there, and in 2003, it was registered on the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List.
Church in Blizne
Church in Blizne is one of the most precious objects of medieval wooden architecture in Poland. This gothic church was probably built in the fifteenth century and a tower was added in the early seventeenth century. The area where the church was built indicates its former defensive character. Between the fifteenth and seventeenth century three priceless paintings were discovered in the temple. Several of them were preserved in the years 2000/2001. Exceptionally valuable are restored buildings of the former presbytery.
The Park of Miniature Temples
In 2007, as the part of Ecumenical Culture Centre The Park Miniature Temples in Myczkowce was established. Within the area of 1 hectare a visitor can admire 140 mock-ups of oldest wooden catholic and orthodox churches from the south-eastern Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine. Miniature buildings were set up on 10 hills. Mock-ups are made at the scale of 1:25 and present the old architecture of Pogórzanie, Dolinianie, Łemkowie and Bojkowie.
- Bike Trails
As the part of launched in 2001 Green Bicycle Initiative an international bike trail called Green Bike-Greenway-Eastern Carpathians was established. It combines the natural and cultural attractions of borderline, workshops of folk artists, galleries and local initiatives for the conservation of nature and cultural heritage. The main route of the Green Bicycle Bike Trail in Bieszczady takes 125 km and runs through The East Carpathian Biosphere Reserve.
- Arboretum Bolestraszyce
Situated 7 km from Przemyśl, Arboretum is the valuable monument of nature and culture, serving different purposes as a natural, cultural, educational and scientific facility. In Arboretum one can currently admire more than 2000 different species and forms of plants. One of the most interesting initiatives in the garden is the historical collection of apple trees. Arboretum enables the disabled to explore and sightsee the garden. The Museum of Natural History, as the part of Arboretum presents permanent exhibitions and many others temporary exhibitions. For 10 years Arboretum Bolestraszyce has been holding the International Open-Air “the Wicker”.
- Artists of Podkarpacie
Zdzisław Beksinski – born in 1929 in Sanok Polish painter, graphic artist, sculptor and photographer. In the years 1947-1952 he studied at the Faculty of Architecture at Cracow University of Technology. Since 1958, his works of art were exhibited in Warsaw, Gliwice and Poznań. In the seventies and eighties he became popular abroad as well. His paintings were exhibited in prestigious galleries in Italy, Germany, France, Belgium and Japan. The most famous paintings comes from the “fantastic period”, full of symbols, mysterious content and catastrophic atmosphere. In later years Beksiński focused on simpler forms and the motif of man and also started to use new techniques – computer graphics and photocopying. Zdzisław Beksinski was murdered in his apartment in Warsaw in 2005, a few days before his 76 birthday. He bequeathed his entire artistic inheritance to The Historical Museum in Sanok.
Adam Harasiewicz – Polish pianist born in 1932 in Chodzież. He started playing the piano at the age of 10. In 1947 he won first prize in the Competition of Young Talents in Rzeszów. He studied piano with Zbigniew Drzewiecki at the State Higher School of Music in Krakow. In 1955 he won first prize at the 5th Fryderyk Chopin International Piano Competition in Warsaw. In 1957, he received the Medal of Harriet Cohen Foundation in London for outstanding piano achievements. In 1960 he was awarded the Gold Medal of the Ignacy Jan Paderewski Foundation in New York. In the years 1958-1974 he has recorded all of Chopin’s works for the Philips Records and all his own mazurkas composed for Polish Radio. Adam Harasiewicz is the Freeman of the City of Rzeszów.
Tadeusz Kantor – born in April 1915 in Wielopole Skrzyńskie. Polish painter, graphic artist, stage designer and film director. He was a graduate and later also the professor of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow. During World War II he created a conspiratorial Independent Theatre. He staged patriotic repertoire, such as the plays of Juliusz Słowacki and Stanislaw Wyspiański. In the early postwar years he created kind of surrealistic paintings, but fell silent when the communist authorities began to introduce socialist realism in the art. Since the mid-fifties Tadeusz Kantor led theater called Cricot 2, where he mainly staged the plays of Stanisław Ingacy Witkiewicz. Tadeusz Kantor died in December, 1990 in Kraków. Currently in Wielopole Skrzyńskie in the old presbytery there is the museum of the artist.
Andrzej Mleczko – born in 1949 in Tarnobrzeg, Polish cartoonist, known primarily as the author of the press satirical cartoons. He graduated from the Faculty of Architecture in Kraków. Since 1971 he has been cooperating with the polish and foreign magazines and newspapers, where he has published more than 20 000 prints and drawings. He presented his work on more than 100 individual exhibitions in Poland and more than 21 abroad. In 1983, he founded an authorial private gallery in Krakow, which he leads until today. The second gallery of artist was founded in 2002 in Warsaw. Andrzej Mleczko is also engaged in graphics, poster, book illustration, drawing, painting and stage design. The result of these interests are dozens of albums and other books.
Tadeusz Nalepa – born in 1943 in Zgłobień Polish bluesman, guitarist, singer, composer and songwriter – considered the father of Polish blues. As a child he learned to play the violin, then the guitar. In 1965 he set up the Blackout band, which after three years changed its name to Breakout. He performed with the group in the country and abroad. The band fell apart in 1981, after the introduction of martial law in Poland. Since the eighties he had been recording and performing under his own name. He published 25 albums, performed at many festivals. Tadeusz Nalepa was awarded the Order of Polonia Restituta. Died in March, 2007 in Warsaw.
Krzysztof Eugeniusz Penderecki – born in November 1933 in Dębica Polish composer, conductor and music educator. In 1958 he graduated from the State Higher School of Music in Krakow and after that he took the position of assistant at the Department of Composition. In the years 1966-1968 he was a lecturer in Volkwang Hochschule für Musik in Essen (Germany). In 1972 he was appointed the rector of the Cracow Music Academy. In 1969 Penderecki began his career as a conductor. Since then he conducts the major orchestras of the world. In the years 1972-1978 he was the professor of Yale University School of Music. In 1988 he was awarded the Grammy of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences for the Second Cello Concerto, recorded for the ERATO Records. In 2005, Krzysztof Penderecki was awarded the highest Polish distinction – the Order of the White Eagle. The most important musical compositions of Krzysztof Penderecki are Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima, String Quartet No. 1, Anaklasis for strings and percussion, Dies Irae (Auschwitz Oratorium) and Cosmogony. Religious works: St. Luke Passion, Utrenja (Morning Prayer), Magnificat, Te Deum, Polish Requiem, the opera: Devils of Loudon, Paradise Lost, the Black Mask, Ubu the King, orchestral works: the second Christmas Symphony, Adagio Passacaglia, concerts: cello, violin, viola, chamber music: String Trio.
Julian Przyboś – born in March 1901 in Gwoźnica Górna, Polish poet and essayist. He made his debut in 1917, with “Sunrise” sonnet published anonymously in a secret schoolbook „Dawn”. In 1918, he joined the conspiracy self-educational group that was the part of the Polish Military Organization. In 1920, he started studying Polish literature and philosophy at the Jagiellonian University. In the years 1923-1937 he worked as a high school teacher in Sokal, Chrzanów and Cieszyn. In the years 1930-1935 he co-operated with the poetic group AR (revolutionary artists). In 1937 he went to Paris on a scholarship. After II World War, he was elected the first President of the Union of Polish Writers. He was also the representative of the National Council. In 1951 he was appointed director of the Jagiellonian Library and devoted himself to scientific work. He collaborated with many magazines such as “Cultural Weekly”, „Poetry” and „Literary Monthly”. Julian Przyboś died in October, 1970 and was buried in the family cemetery in Gwoźnica. The most important collections of poems are, among others: Śruby, Oburącz, Z ponad, W głąb las, Równanie serca, Póki my żyjemy, Miejsce na ziemi, Najmniej słów, Narzędzie ze światła, Próba całości, Więcej o manifest, Na znak, Kwiat nieznany.
Wojciech Smarzowski – born in January 1963 in Korczyna, Polish writer and theater, film and television director, the author of music videos and TV commercials. Graduated from The Film School in Łódz, (the Direction of Photography Faculty) and from the Jagiellonian University (the film theory). At first he worked on a documentary film, advertising and music videos. The real turning point in his career as a director was film “The Wedding”, which was a blockbuster and was showered with awards. Later he worked in theater and directed the TV series. Came back to the big screen with film The Dark House, for which he was awarded during the Gdynia Festival. The last well-received film is “The Rose” – telling the story of war, and the dramatic history of the inhabitants of Mazury.
Franciszek Starowieyski – born in 1930 in Bratkówka, Polish painter, graphic artist, creator of posters and stage designer. In the years 1949-1952, he studied painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow, but graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw. In the sixties he became popular for the series of film and theater posters. He also created The Theatre of Drawing – the series of public sessions of painting. Starowieyski frequently exhibited in galleries and museums in Poland, Austria, Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Canada, Switzerland, Italy and others. He was also the winner of many awards, among others : Grand Prix at the Biennale of Contemporary Art in Sao Paulo, Grand Prix for a film poster at the Cannes Film Festival, the Grand Prix at the International Festival in Paris, the prizes at the International Poster Biennale in Warsaw and at the International Film Festival in Chicago. In 1994 he received the Golden Mask Award for his stage setting for Krzysztof Penderecki drama – Ubu the King and in 2004 he was granted the Prize of the Ministry of Culture in the fine arts. In 2005 he was awarded The Medal for Merit to Culture – Gloria Artis. He died in 2009 at the age of 79.
Józef Szajna – born in March 1922 in Rzeszów Polish painter, designer, director and the connoisseur of theatre, author of avant-garde performances, professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw. One of the most outstanding artists of theater and art worldwide. Considered by critics as one of the five greatest artists of the twentieth century. In 1972 he founded the Warsaw Art Center „Studio”. He designed stages and performed as the director of many theatrical plays in Poland and abroad. His work has been exhibited in many Polish cities and in numerous exhibitions all over the world. He collaborated with theatres in England, Holland, Germany, Israel, Egypt, Turkey, Portugal and Spain. The most important of his performances are: Acropolis, Faust, Replica, Witkacy, Dante, Cervantes or Deballage (Wanda Siemaszkowa Theatre in Rzeszów). In 1997 r. he donated the City of Rzeszów the part of his collection. It is exhibited in the Szajna Gallery established at the Wanda Siemaszkowa Theatre. He died in 2008.
Józef Wilkoń – an outstanding book illustrator, painter and art historian. Born in February 1930 in Bogucice, grew up in Łańcut. He graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow (Faculty of Painting) and from the Jagiellonian University (Faculty of Art History). He made illustrations for more than 170 books in Poland and abroad, for which he received numerous awards in many countries around the world. The largest collection of the artist’s work is in three museums in Japan. Wilkoń works in the field of painting, book illustrations, stage design, tapestry design and sculpture.
Glass Heritage Centre in Krosno
It is the first Polish tourist and cultural facility presenting – in an interactive way – the matter of glass manufacturing. Visitors can not only enjoy the beauty of glass art and the artistry of glass craftsmen, but most of all acquaint themselves with the secrets of glass production and decoration techniques. They can also take an active part in these shows. Glass Heritage Center consists of two buildings – the main one and the second so-called The Threshold Cellars. In Krosno one can also admire “The Trail of Krosno Glass” that includes 14 unique sculptures made of glass located in the most important points of the city such as market square, railway station and bus station. Krosno Glass Heritage Centre was the winner of the sixth edition of the prestigious contest “7 Wonders of European Funds” in the category of promotional product. In 2013 the Glass Heritage Centre received the First Prize and the title of Podkarpackie Building of the Year in trading and services category.
The grave of Tzadik Elimelech in Leżajsk
At the turn of the eighteenth and nineteenth century Leżajsk became the important center of Hasidism for the cause of arrival of Tzadik Elimelech Lippman, who also served as a rabbi. Elimelech is the author of several volumes of Kabbalistic lectures and “Noam Elimelech” treaty, where he included his views on the social and religious role of tzaddik. On the anniversary of the death of the tzaddik the Hasids, from all over the world arrive to the local cemetery (kirkut) to pray at his tomb. They believe that on this particular day the wise man who has a special grace from God, comes down from heaven to listen to their prayers. As Orthodox Jews use the calendar based on the phases of the moon, the day of the death of the tzadik is a moveable feast. In 2013, the grave of Tzadik Elimelech was visited by the couple of thousands of Hasids.